Friday, May 11, 2007

A week ago I was listening to Dr. Laura on the radio and a woman called in asking if she should leave her husband because he was gay. They had children and the husband was begging her to not leave him. He hadn't been unfaithful to her but was having a difficult time with his attraction to men. The woman felt that it would be best to take the children and leave so that he could have some time alone to deal with his struggle. I was suprised when Dr. Laura told her not to leave her husband since he wanted to stay together and work things out. Dr. Laura felt it was worse to leave than to stay with a gay man. She said that once the children were grown, then they could decide if they wanted to stay together, but for the sake of saving the family, they should stay together for now. She told the woman to help her husband, stay by his side and stay committed to the vows they had made at marriage.

I was so impressed by her advice that I wrote an email to the show thanking her for sticking up for gay married men and their families. I told her a little about my own situation and how I am trying to do everything to stay faithful and that I would not be able to make it without the support of my wife. I also told her about our blogs (hope that was okay) and that there are many of us who are staying faithful against the odds. She immediately emailed back (during her show, not sure how she did that) asking for specific websites. I gave her mine.

I was so proud to have our struggle highlighted on national radio, with the support of a national figure. I don't always agree with what Dr. Laura says, but was very impressed with her advice to this woman.

3 comments:

playasinmar said...

I find myself appreciating Dr. Laura's style more than anything. Our crybaby society needs a good kick in the pants and be told, "Stop blaming your parents," once in a while.

Max Power said...

Right on, Forester!

And I agree with Playa (believe it or not), our society really does need a good kick in the pants.

Abelard Enigma said...

While I don't always agree with Dr. Laura, I too appreciate her no nonsense style of telling it like it is.

What always amazes me, however, is why people bother to call in. They should know what she is going to say - that she is going to slap them down. Do they genuinely believe that they are going to be the exception?

Since July 15, 2007